A while back, my mother was walking her dog down by the lake when she ran across 2 deer skulls (WELL past the decomposition stage). She asked me if I would be interested in them, and I said, “Well, of course!!!”
They’ve been sitting in my closet for a while now, so I decided that it was time to dig them out, get them cleaned up, and get them ready for their “transformation.” I thought that you might like to join me throughout this process.
So, I watched some worthless videos on YouTube regarding skull cleaning, and eventually decided to just wing it. I took a 10 gallon plastic bucket and filled it halfway with cold water and then poured in some bleach (about ¼ jug). I then placed my skulls very gently into the bottom of the bucket, and placed it in the sun to “work it’s magic.” I allowed them to “bleach out” for about 2 ½ hours, and then removed them from the bucket and placed them on the ground to dry. I feel that they turned out beautifully!
Once they have dried completely, I will very gently clean them with a toothbrush, making sure that I have a nice clean surface to work with. Provided everything goes well, I am planning to create a “Day of the Dead” skull, and a “Masquerade” skull for my shop. I’m REALLY excited about this project, and hope that you will join me for Part Two when I take this project into the next phase.